The village of Upper Moutere was settled in the early 1840s by German immigrants who brought with them hop plants and grape vines. Today the region is home to many wineries and is also the seat of New Zealand’s hop industry.
The original building was a two story structure built by Cordt Bensemann in 1850. A second wing was swiftly added to create living quarters for the Bensemann family and by 1857 the structure that is still clearly recognisable as The Moutere Inn was in place.
Life moved slowly in the Moutere Valley, electricity and telephone lines didn’t arrive until the late 1950s and so the commercial pressures that saw other historic pubs demolished didn’t affect the Inn leaving it largely untouched.